Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ethnographic Essay Topic

The subculture that I chose to research and observe are servers, or waiters and waitresses. I thought for awhile on what would be something that I would be interested in and would be pretty accessible to me. I've always wondered about this occupation and respected people who were involved with it. Everytime I go out to eat, I admire how hard they work and have wanted to just ask them all kinds of questions and now I'm able to. I definitley think you have to be a certain type of person to be a waiter or waitress and it's not an easy job. A lot of my friends are also servers so I will be able to interview them and ask them questions about this topic.
This topic is accesible to me and the members gather at places I can visit. It is something that I would be able to research online or at the library and I'm not a part of this subculture. I definitley think that waiters and waitresses feel a sense of identifcation with one another. They are connected through their job and are around each other a lot of the time. They share the same rituals and are all motivated to have a job and make money. They are expected to be polite and commited as a server and so they also have similar behaviors. They also have a certain type of language that they follow. Even certain abbreviations they use when writing that only other servers would be able to understand. I think this is something that will be interesting to learn more about.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

That sounds like a really interesting topic. And having friends working at restaurants will make research easier. One way to narrow down is to focus on people who do the job on a shorter-term basis, like college students doing it while they're in school as opposed to people who consider restaurant work a long-term career (hoping to go into management, etc.).